Frequently Asked Questions

Where will I live?

You’ll stay in one of our on-campus residence halls located near classrooms, tennis courts, and an indoor swimming pool.

Who will be in charge?

Our residential counselors are current Hollins students. The residential coordinator is a professional staff member with Hollins University and supervises the camp counseling staff.

What if I am flying as an unaccompanied minor?

Please contact the Office of Admission at 1-800-456-9595 or so that we may discuss the details of your travel.  Airlines require the name, address, and telephone number of the person who will meet the student traveling as an unaccompanied minor. We cannot provide that information to you at this time. The Hollinsummer coordinator will contact you before the departure date to notify you of the name of the staff member who will meet your child at the gate.

Is transportation to and from the airport provided?

With advance notice, we provide free shuttle service to and from the Roanoke-Blacksburg Regional Airport. Once you are registered for Hollinsummer, a supplemental transportation form will be sent via email so we are fully aware of your travel plans.

What time is drop-off and pick-up?

While we are still finalizing the schedule for this summer, we expect drop-off to occur sometime between 1:00 PM and 4:00 PM on Sunday, July 16 and pick-up to occur between 10:00 AM and 12:00 PM on Saturday, July 22. We ask that participants who are flying unaccompanied email their proposed flight details to so that we can verify that a staff member can transport the student to and from the airport at those times.

What if my travel arrangements change?

Contact the Hollinsummer coordinator at 1-800-456-9595 as soon as possible if your travel plans change.

what is the covid-19 policy for hollinsummer?

For Hollinsummer 2023, the COVID-19 vaccination series is recommended for campers, but not required. Masking will be optional.

What if a participant has routine medication needs?

Hollinsummer participants who require routine medications will keep their medications in their dorm rooms and self-administer their medications. The Health and Counseling Center at Hollins University cannot hold student medications.

Are bed linens provided?

Hollinsummer does not provide bed linens. If you are unable to pack them, you can mail them in advance. Contact for more information.

What if someone wants to visit me during the camp?

You must arrange any leave of absence in advance with the residential coordinator. Given the short length of the camp and intensity of activities and classes, we strongly discourage visitors and absences from camp.

How might campers be contacted during the camp?

Parents may contact campers by:

Regular mail: Hollinsummer, Camper’s Name, Box 9707, Roanoke, VA 24020

Mail delivery can be delayed, so we suggest students account for additional mail service time as you prepare your mailings.

Fax: 540-362-6218 Attention: Hollinsummer, Camper’s Name

Phone: Office of Admission/ Hollinsummer Office: 1-800-456-9595

During the day, parents may call and leave messages for campers with the Office of Admission, who supervises Hollinsummer. Messages will be checked regularly throughout the day. In the case of an emergency, please contact Campus Security at 540-362-6419.

What if I want to bring a laptop?

Though it is not a requirement for any of the Hollinsummer programs, you may bring a laptop. However, the camp will not be responsible for loss or damage to the computer and equipment.

How much spending money will I need?

There isn’t much of a need for spending money during your stay on campus. The Hollins Store will only be open limited hours during the day, and all meals will be provided for each participant.

What if I need medical attention?

A nurse is on campus every day. We will call parents for advice and recommendations if the problem does not require immediate medical attention. If the problem is serious, a staff member will arrange for medical treatment at one of the Roanoke-area hospitals. When possible, staff members will contact parent(s)/guardian(s) before seeking treatment.

Parents must complete all parts of the medical form.
  • You will receive an email with information about the form.
  • Return it (it must be complete and legible) before the beginning of camp.
  • Staff will refer to this form for contact information in case of a medical emergency.
  • Medical personnel will refer to this form if medical treatment is necessary.
  • This form is the only guide a health care provider will have in case of an emergency.

What if I need to cancel?

Cancellation requests should be submitted by email to If the participant cancels for any reason before June 15, we will refund the full amount, minus the deposit. If you cancel after June 15, we will not grant a refund.


Hollins University continues to closely monitor the development of COVID-19 both in our region and nationally. If we are unable to run Hollinsummer due to the impact of COVID-19, all registrants will receive a refund of any dues paid, including the deposit.

What if I need financial assistance?

Scholarships are not currently available for the Hollinsummer programs.

What will I eat?

All program participants eat in the campus dining hall. Campers in all programs choose from a variety of vegetarian and meat entrees, vegetables, breads, sandwiches, salad bar, drinks, and desserts.