Graduate Students and the F-1 Visa

Photo of student in MFA Dance program
Ziyao Yu, Dance M.F.A. student

International graduate students at Hollins University will obtain an F-1 visa prior to the start of their program. Though the process of applying for the F-1 visa is the same for both undergraduate and graduate students, some requirements differ.

Graduate students are required to enroll in at least nine credits per term or session to remain in status once they’ve obtained their F-1 visa. This includes the summer terms for the M.F.A. programs.

For more information about your student visa and what you’ll need to do once you arrive in the U.S., please view Maintaining your F-1 Status.

Work Authorization for Graduate F-1 Students

As an F-1 visa-holder, you are eligible to pursue on-campus employment at Hollins University, as well as internships and post-graduate work opportunities.

For more information about obtaining work authorization, and what kind of employment will be available to you, please view Working as an F-1 Student.