Martin is a playwright, dramaturg, and director as well as the department chair of the undergraduate theatre department at Hollins. She has a Ph.D. in interdisciplinary arts and theatre from Ohio University with a focus on intersectional feminist theatre and 20th/21st century women-identifying playwrights, and an M.F.A. in playwriting from The Playwright’s Lab at Hollins. For over 25 years, Martin has taught, directed, and performed in Europe and the U.S. Her work has been produced in Germany, The Netherlands, Australia, Japan, Ireland, and the U.S., and published by Smith & Krauss, Theatrefolk, and YouthPLAYS. She is a proud member of the Dramatists Guild, the Association for Theatre in Higher Education (ATHE), the American Society for Theater Research (ASTR), and the National Women’s Studies Association (NWSA). In her current capacity as theatre department chair, Martin’s focus is on diversity, equity, and inclusion both in her department and campuswide. In addition, she trained as a search advocate through the Search Advocate Program at Oregon State University and is currently engaged in creating more equitable and inclusive faculty searches at Hollins.
Areas of Expertise
- Women-identifying Playwrights of the 20th & 21st century and intersectional feminist theatre.
- THEA 161: Acting Dynamics
- THEA 206: Theatre for Social Change
- THEA 247: Applied Musical Thea Perf Tech
- THEA 250: Feminisms in Performance
- THEA 263: Episodes Thea Hist: Season 1
- THEA 270: Purpose/Passion/Possibilities
- THEA 326: Episodes Thea Hist: Season 2
- THEA 363: Directing
- THEA 470: Senior Seminar
- Ph.D., Interdisciplinary Arts & Theatre, Ohio University (2022)
- Graduate Certificate, Women’s Gender & Sexuality Studies, Ohio University (2019)
- Graduate Certificate, New Play Directing, Hollins University (2017)
- M.F.A. in Playwriting, Hollins University (2014)
- B.F.A. in Acting, Marymount Manhattan College New York (1995)
- Vocational Certificate, Pacific Conservatory Theatre (PCPA) Actor’s Training Program, California (1993)
Publications & Articles
- I am currently producer of the Trans [Plays] of Remembrance Festival, a streamed, short-play festival celebrating trans* digital performance, theatre-makers, and poets in tandem with Trans Awareness Week and the Transgender Day of Remembrance. T[P]R will be streamed live from the Hollins campus on November 17 and digitally streamed on HowlRound TV on November 18 and 19.
- I am currently researching non-spoken feminist systems of collaboration in the plays of Suzan Lori Parks, Paula Vogel, Young Jean Lee, and Jackie Sibblies Drury. I am also interested in the dismantling of patriarchal and white supremacist systems of oppression in American theatre—specifically in academic theatre systems—in order to develop healthier and more inclusive theatre training practices.